6 Meaningful Ways To Honor Memorial Day
Most people are looking forward to the long weekend that is quickly approaching, but it’s important we don’t breeze through the next three days without taking time to remember our fallen soldiers.
It can be a daunting task trying to honor those who paid the ultimate price for our country, but below are a few meaningful ways you could commemorate Memorial Day this weekend:
- Plant flags and lay flowers on the graves at your local Veterans cemetery: If you have a Veterans cemetery near you, going for a visit this Memorial Day is a meaningful way you can show your gratitude. Bringing flowers or flags to lay on each grave would be a beautiful touch, but simply walking around and reading the names of those who made the ultimate sacrifice is also a great way to honor our fallen military members.
- Reach out to the loved ones of a fallen soldier: The family and loved ones of military members who have passed away need some extra love on this holiday. Letting people know that you care doesn’t have to be a grand gesture, it could be a simple phone call to let them know you’re thinking of them this Memorial Day and are thankful for their loved one’s sacrifice.
- Honor fallen soldiers by caring for veterans and active duty military members: This could be a card, note, care package, meal, or truly any thoughtful act of kindness that shows you appreciate them and the sacrifice they make.
- Shop from a Veteran or military-owned business: Planning on eating out this Memorial Day? Or maybe you’re looking to go shopping? Consider supporting and shopping from a business owned and operated by Veterans, military members, or their families. Veteran Owned Businesses is a great tool to locate these kinds of businesses in your area.
- Support a military-based charity: If you’re able, a great way to celebrate Memorial Day and making an impact is to donate to a related charity. Children of Fallen Soldiers Relief Fund is just one of the many charities focused on honoring fallen military members.
- Wear or display a red poppy: A red poppy is a classic way to show your appreciation this weekend. Also known as a Remembrance Poppy, red poppies are known for representing individuals in the military who have lost their lives. Wear one, place one in your car, display one in your home…anywhere where you might see it and be reminded of the significance of this holiday.