Chicken Lettuce Wraps
Are you ready for some football?? How about some football feasting??
Food and football just seem to go hand-in-hand. However, football party food doesn’t only mean junk food. Make these tasty lettuce wraps so you can enjoy the game and not worry about blowing your diet. Using the slow cooker means you don’t have to miss any of the pre-game activities.
- 2 lbs ground chicken breast
- 1 can (8oz) water chestnuts, drained and chopped
- 1 cup shelled edamame (use frozen pack to save time)
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 3 green onions
- 1 can (14.5oz) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 4 tsp reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tsp reduced-sodium teriyaki sauce
- 1 tsp rice vinegar
- 2 Tbsp hoisin sauce
- 1 Tbsp Chinese style hot mustard
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 12 leaves of lettuce (Romain/Iceberg/Bibb)
- Optional – Asian sweet chili sauce
- Optional – toasted sesame seeds
Step 1 – Use cooking spray or light oil in a skillet and cook chicken through until no pink color remains.
Step 2 – Cut the white sections of the green onions into thin slices and green sections into slivers. Rinse lettuce and separate leaves.
Step 3 – Place chicken and all the vegetables (except the green slivers) into a 3 1/2 to 4-quart slow cooker. Add soy sauce, teriyaki, vinegar, mustard and pepper. Add broth and stir together.
Step 4 – Cover the slow cooker and turn heat on low for 4 to 5 hours or on high for 2 to 2 1/2 hours.
Step 5 – Strain cooked mixture and place mixture back into cooker. Stir in hoisin sauce and any optional ingredients. Top with green onion slivers.
Step 6 – Serve with lettuce leaves on the side and extra hot mustard and sweet chili sauce dipping sauces.
Makes 12 servings
Pro Tip: You can use different proteins and vegetables to suit your taste. Use the filling over white or fried rice to serve as an entrée.
This recipe is modified from the original in Southern Living